Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shot down by a drifter.

When I read the book Outflow, I was pretty good about getting outside of my comfort zone to do something to bless someone else.  Recently; however, I have only done small things that fit completely inside my bubble of comfort.  This morning as I was pulling out of McDonalds, there was a man obviously carrying all of his belongings, standing in the freezing cold.  I wasn't sure what I should do, so I made an agreement with God that if the man was still there after I ran a few errands, I would do something for him.  He had switched sides of the road but was still there when I was done, so I grabbed $5.00 out of my wallet and pulled up next to him.  I asked him if he could use some money to which he responded, "How much is that?"  So I told him $5.00.  Then he simply turned his back to me.  What?!  I wasn't exactly sure what he was doing so I sat there for a minute with my arm reached out with the money, but he just ignored me, so I left.  I know that God does not want me to stop stepping out of my comfort zone to help others, but this one is going to take me a while to get over.

5 comments:

erindinkel said...

Wow! That is crazy! Next time if you want to give someone money, I'll take $5 from you ;)
On a serious note, though, you were obedient to what you felt called to do so I commend you for that.

erin said...

Very interesting... I'll be thinking about this one for a while, too. But good for you for being obedient. God is teaching you something. And when you figure it out let me know :).

Farm Chick (at Heart) said...

WEIRD! That is one of the strangest experiences I have heard of in a long time.

Randa said...

I saw that guy too....WOW...who knew you could be so choosy...but good for you for being obedient! God is always awesome!!

Janae said...

Good for you Sami! Sorry it didn't turn out the way we would have all expected but at least you did what you were called to do. I agree though, very strange!