Sunday, April 19, 2009

Love Dare Day 24

Here's an update on how my Love Dare is going. Since my marriage is not in any danger, I'm taking it a little slower than was probably intended, but it's working out good for us.


http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/lovedare/

Today's dare was about lust. They define lust as setting your heart and passions on something forbidden. Lust progresses from eyes to heart to action. In other words, what you think about becomes what you do. And then follows shame and regret. They say, "When your eyes and heart are on God, your actions will lead you to lasting joy, not to endless cycles of regret and condemnation." While sexual lust is not one of the sins that I struggle with, the book pointed out that there are many different kinds of lust. You know when you have a terrible day and nothing seemed to go right. Don't you have those things that you turn to to make yourself feel better? I like to buy new clothes or eat. I know I should really turn to God, but it's just not easy. I would also say that I lust after money. It's easy for me to say, "Life will be so much easier when we have more money." I feel like my natural tendency is to be discontent. That's one of the reason that I love to study Paul. He learned to be content in every situation. Even when he was in dungeons and being tortured, he was content. I know that's what God intended for me to have, I just hope I can do it sooner rather than later. The book says, "Focus on being grateful for everything God has already given you rather than choosing discontentment." CHOOSING DISCONTENTMENT. Is that what I do? It doesn't feel like it's a choice. I need to be grateful for what God has given me and CHOOSE CONTENTMENT. If only it were really that easy.

Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

4 comments:

Nellie said...

Have you been inside my head lately?? :-) I have the same struggles my friend! Sometimes what we choose has become such a habit that we don't even realize we are doing it. I think it becomes our default mode...

Thank you for sharing! I needed this wake up call!

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Unknown said...

I think you may have take those words off the pages of my heart!!! Spot on sister!!!

I needed to read that today!

You rock lady!
Heather

erin said...

"Choosing discontentment" ... that phrase is going to stick with me.

Great post!