Thursday, April 2, 2009

Is Easter a gift-giving holiday?

I would have said no to that question less than one week ago. But in the last week of Beth Moore's Esther Bible study, she discussed each person celebrating their deliverance in their own way. Jews have Purim, some have an anniversary of their victory over an addiction, and some have Easter. Easter has always meant something special to me because it celebrates Jesus' resurrection. However, I have never thought of it as a celebration of God delivering ME from MY sin. I don't have an anniversary of victory or a specific date of significance, but there's definitely plenty of sin to celebrate deliverance from. So from now on, Easter, to me, will be my day to celebrate my deliverance. Like other holidays, I am going to celebrate by feasting, fellowship and gift giving.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7-9

2 comments:

Farm Chick (at Heart) said...

Right On! :)

Unknown said...

Preach it sister!!! I liked this post a lot!! It's definitely not something I have thought about a whole lot on Easter. I thought of it the same way you did... but it's a great reminder that we have been given the best gift!!

Had a blast last night! Glad you were there!

Heather