Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hosea {When God calls us to do hard things}

I am starting to read through Hosea.  It's super painful and hard to read, but that's the book God sent to me through a friend, so that's what I'm reading.  I want to blog about my thoughts as I read.  They are very raw and not at all put together thoughts, so no judging.  I would love to hear any of your thoughts on Hosea as well.  I'm praying that God speaks to me through this (actually I know he will because he wouldn't give me this book and not speak to me) and I know he can use you to speak to me too.

Hosea 1Thoughts

I am not a prophet or a teacher, but God calls me and everyone to live in a way that speaks to others.  My life can be a ministry in that way.  That does not mean that I should hold myself to an impossible standard and tell everyone how I have followed XYZ commandment.  It means revealing my brokenness and need for grace to everyone so that they can see my Mighty God at work.  God asked Hosea to marry a prostitute which seems hard enough, but he also asked him to keep forgiving her for her adultery.  I can't imagine how painful that journey was but it allowed Hosea to show God's people, in a way they could actually see, how God's grace works and that it's there waiting for them if they just turn to him and accept it.

I am broken and in need of God's grace in more ways than you can even imagine.  God, give me the strength to reveal my brokenness to others, so that they too can see how amazing your grace really is.  And give me the strength to give that same grace that you have given me to anyone in my life that needs it right now.  Amen.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

I just did a brief overview of Hosea. I will read the whole book, but already this verse has stood out to me:

"The Lord said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes." Hosea 3:1

I am going to spend some time asking God, "What are the raisin cakes in my life?" I so don't want to be a Gomer, but yet, I am sure I turn to other things when I should be turning to God. I am so thankful that God is faithful to me when I wander.

Then, I am going to ask, "with whom is God asking me to love boldly and without ceasing no matter what?".

The book of Hosea has so much to teach us. Thank you for sharing.