Thursday, August 18, 2016

Hosea 2 {Turning away}

Hosea 2

The first part of this chapter laid out a template of a person turning away from God.  They have veered off his path and hopped onto one that they think is better.  It's definitely self-serving and provides short term pleasure, like the linens and oils that the woman in Hosea takes pleasure from and credits to her lovers.  Even though God can take that all away.  And he does in order to draw us closer to him because sometimes most of the time, that's the only way.  The only way we see that those short term pleasures are fleeting and he is truly better.

I'm sure we can all read those verses and think of someone to point a finger at or call out, but don't we all turn from God from time to time or maybe it's just that we keep certain areas of our life from him or that we take credit for things that God has given us or done for us.  Those are all things that separate us from him.

Verse 13 reminds me that there are always consequences for our sin.  Even though he forgives me when I come to him, in this world it will never be as though it didn't happen.  But then the drawing closer starts in verse 14.  He speaks tenderly even though we deserve harsh words.  He knows our hearts can be delicate especially during those hard times, so he doesn't barge in with heavy demands.  He gently calls to us and shows us his great mercy and grace.

I can almost see and hear the joy in verse 15.  The redemption and delight that follows.  "There she will sing as in the days of her youth."  I want to sing like that.  Not a deep heavy song, but a lighthearted, cheerful one.  I have and I do sing like that, but I want it to be that way all the time.  Every moment of every day rejoicing in God's amazing love for me.

That's my prayer for today.  That we all take time today to truly understand God's grace for us and then shout a cheerful song of praise.  Whether it's on your way home from work or as you clean the bathrooms, again (how does it get so dirty so fast!) or as you drive to pick your kindergartner up from his first day at school, like me.  So fair warning to everyone in the pickup line.  You might want to bring your earplugs. ;)  Here's the song I'll be jamming to.


1 comment:

erin said...

I sat down this morning to read the first three chapters and these verses are what stood out to me:

2:3-13 -- God is so angry. And this line from a great song popped into my head: The opposite of love is indifference. God is only so angry because He loves His people with such fervor.

2:14-23 -- Israel doesn't even apologize and ask for forgiveness and there is the Lord, tenderly wooing His people back to Him. He is amazing.

3:2 -- Hosea bought back Gomer, even though Gomer was his wife! And then I thought about Jesus, and how Jesus bought us with His blood, even though we should have already been His, you know? He created us and yet in our sin we wander away from Him so far that He has to buy us back.

I'm glad to be reading this along with you and Chelle and whomever else is. It's good to read the Word and learn from the Holy Spirit alongside sweet sisters!