Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Romance

Precious is a lover.  I have been fighting that since the day she was born.  When playing dress-up, she always wanted to be a bride or wife or princess with a prince charming.  In preschool she had her first crush or maybe boyfriend since he liked her too.  I tried to tell her boys are icky and she should run from the boys as fast as she can.  She seemed to take that literally because in first grade she would have the boys chase her around the playground because she liked to be chased.  I say "she would have" them chase her because she didn't have to force them.  They just wanted to.  Oh to have that kind of power :)  Anyway,  our school had their book fair the other day and she said, "Mom, I want a romance."  I was so taken aback that I didn't know what to say.  One, why does she know that word?  Two, can't she just read normal girl books like Clementine?  After talking to her for a little bit, I realized she actually meant that she wanted a fairytale.  You know, like, princess meets prince charming and they live happily ever after.  I struggle with fairy tales too because I don't want to set her up for disappointment when it comes to her future husband.  I have been trying to change her so much that I have failed to embrace her as God created her.  For whatever reason, God made her a lover.  He put that desire in her heart.  I need to stop trying to change that about her and encourage her to love.  I have always prayed that God would bring up a Christian man that completes her, but I think I better start praying for him to be able to live up to her expectations now because he's going to need all the help he can get. 

1 comment:

erin said...

As always, you have an interesting perspective on raising children. I think I'm always trying to get Little Missy to steer clear of romances and fairy tales, but after reading this maybe I need to guide her in the right direction of those instead of trying to eliminate them completely. And you last line made me laugh out loud.