Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Heartbreaking

Yesterday was the first time that my heart completely broke for my daughter.  I've been sad for her before, but this was different.  When she got in the car after her student council meeting she told me she needed to talk to me in her room.  She raced downstairs as soon as we got home and said, "Come on Mom."  Then I listened to her tell a story through her tears that I'm sure I will hear many, many more times.  How her "friend" buddied up with another girl and purposefully left her out.  How it hurt her and she didn't know what to do.  I did the best I could to make her feel better.  I reminded her that she is so lucky to have a family that loves her no matter what, a God that is always with her, and lots of friends.  But even as I spoke those words, I knew they weren't enough.  I wanted to scoop her up and make it all go away, but I knew that I could never give her what she needs.  I'll never be enough.  Because that's how God intended it.  He is the only one that can fill that void.  That can make Precious realize that it doesn't matter what those girls think or how they act.  That she is fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14).  That she is precious in His sight (Isaiah 43:4).  That she is made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God (Ephesians 3:19).  My eyes still fill with tears as I think of the pain she felt and my heart breaks for all pain she will feel in her life, especially pain brought on by her friends.  Being a girl is hard.  I pray that she will turn to God to help her get through it.

Father,  Please guide my words as I deal with these issues alongside my kids.  Fill the gap between what I can do to help them and what only you can do.  Use every tear to draw them closer to you, making them a better Christian and friend to others.  Help them see when others are feeling that same pain and take action to help them feel better.  Lord, we know the evil one will try to use these things for his purpose.  Guard my kids' hearts from him.  Turn their thoughts to you so that you will fill them with love and compasion.  Remind them each day how precious they truly are.  Thank you for blessing my life with their presence.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: