Monday, April 12, 2010

My daughter does NOT have the gruds!

Yesterday Precious, who is 6, started crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said that she was afraid that she had the gruds. So I asked her what the gruds were. She told me that it’s something that gets in your brain and makes it weird. Again, she told me that she wasn’t sure if she had it or not. I finally got out of her that it was something they had been talking about at school and it was on the cd that they had sent home to listen to. We listened to it together and it was about saying no to drugs. Suddenly it all made sense. I explained to her what drugs were and that drugs from the doctor were okay, but other drugs can damage your brain. After all that, she decided that I was right and she did NOT have the gruds. I don’t know if it’s her age or what, but all of a sudden she is hypersensitive about everything. She doesn’t want to wear short-sleeved shirts to school because she doesn’t like her hairy arms. Yes, they are a bit hairy, but she is totally blowing it out of proportion. It breaks my heart to see her so embarrassed of something, even if it’s small. I would love to hear any advice on the subject.

3 comments:

erin said...

Poor little thing. I have no wise words, but I agree it is terrible that she's worrying about this stuff at such a young age.

C.C. said...

Ok so as some one who works with Middle school girls one thing I tell them all the time is that they are Beautiful! And I have found that the more they are told how amazing they are the more they begin to believe it. So tell her, list things specifically that you think are Beautiful about her and you can even show her is scripture that she was created beautiful by God, one of my favorite scriptures is Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. My bible has some great notes on this scripture, I'd be glad to share it with you and a few other scriptures if you like.

Unknown said...

Awe.... poor sweetie! She is beautiful like her momma! :-) Blame those hairy arms on daddy. :-)

Hope you're having a great week... say no to gruds :-) That's so cute!

Love ya!