Sunday, September 13, 2009

Newest Realization

The story starts with my sister and I's plan to meet at the Sedgwick County Zoo Saturday with our four kids. As I pulled up to the zoo that day, everything was blocked off. I found out from a volunteer that today was one of very few days the zoo closes. They were very nice and gave the kids free popcorn and free tickets to get into the zoo some other time. But now, I had to figure out something to do with my two kids and my sister and her kids. We went to the park, ate at Olive Garden, and walked around the shops. After spending the entire morning telling Precious to listen and stop giving me an attitude, I realized something. I will not get to truly enjoy my kids company again until they're 25 years old!! Okay, I'm only half kidding. For the first few years of your kid's life, you make excuses for them. They're still learning. They're not old enough to know better yet. Well, my kids are past that stage. They SHOULD know better. If anyone has any advice on how to deal with a 6 year old with an attitude, I'm all ears!! Here was my attempt. I explained to Precious how when you're little the rules are there to keep you safe. ex. You don't touch a hot stove because it could burn you. I continued to tell her that the rules are for a different reason now. They exist to help her grow into the person God wants her to be. ex. Treat others with respect. This is actually working. All night last night and all day today, she has not whined, complained, or disrespected me! Okay, it might have something to do with Daddy threatening her with hiney spankings too, but I think I'll take the credit on this one. In the mean time, I'll keep looking forward to their 25th birthdays.

2 comments:

erin said...

Ooh, interesting. Good thing to explain to my kids, too!

Lisa said...

I like it! I will have to try this one out!