Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Our Legacy

My grandpa passed away around Christmas time. Since we have family all over the country, the funeral was postponed until June so everyone could make plans to be there. Because of this, we took an unconventional approach to the funeral. Grandpa was cremated and my uncle made a great pine box for the ashes. Grandpa worked for the Santa Fe Railroad for his entire working life, so there's a Santa Fe Railroad plate on the box. Grandpa always said to just bury him in an old pine box next to Grandma, so that's why the box was made of pine. The focus of the funeral was on what a great legacy Grandpa leaves behind. It was wonderful to hear about his life as a Christian and the dedication he instilled in his sons. My grandmother developed Alzheimers early in her life and Grandpa stood by her side until she passed 20 years ago. Even as Grandpa developed dimmensia himself, Grandma was always on his mind. I am inspired by his commitment to his wife and to Jesus Christ. I wish everyone would have such a wonderful legacy in their family.



















For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.--William Penn

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.--Psalms 116:15

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so neat! What a great tribute sister! Been thinking about you and praying for you. Hope you have enjoyed seeing the fam!

Love ya,
Heather

Lisa said...

I was just wondering the other day if you had a blog and then I just found it on Erin's blog. Yea!! I love blogging and yours is very cute. I hope you are having a great summer. See you at the MOPS meeting.

Lisa